You are here
Prof. dr. ir. Inald Lagendijk
Reginald (or preferably: Inald) Lagendijk has been with Delft University of Technology since 1985.
He is a full professor in the field of Multimedia Signal Processing at the Delft University of Technology, and holds the chair of Information and Communication Theory.
The fundamental question that he is interested in, is how multimedia information (images, video, audio) can be represented such that it is not only efficient in communication bandwidth or storage capacity, but that it is also easily identified when stored in large volumes (video libraries, internet) or transmitted over networks (e.g. P2P networks), that it is robust against errors when transmitted, that it can be protected against unauthorized usage, and that it has a good (audio-visual) quality.
Research projects he is currently involved in cover subjects such as multimedia content security (fingerprinting, watermarking, secure signal processing), multimedia information retrieval, and (wireless) multi-media communications. In the past he was involved in research on image sequence restoration and enhancement, and video compression. In the recent years he has been actively involved in shaping and exploring the field of privacy protected signal processing.
Professor Lagendijk is elected member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), elected member of the Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities (KHMW), and he is a Fellow of the IEEE (for Contributions to Image Processing).
Current (and Recent) Professional AssignmentsChair of the Computer Science Department of Intelligent Systems:
- Member of the Multimedia Signal Processing Group.
- Scientific director of the Delft Institute for Research on ICT (DIRECT).
- Director of the national ICT research program COMMIT.
- Scientific director of the Center for Dependable ICT (3TU.Cedict).
- Member of IPN: ICT Platform Netherlands.
- Member of the management team of the Netherlands Institute on ICT (3TU.Nirict).
- Member of the node advisory committee of the Dutch node in the EIT ICTLabs.
- Member of the board of the ICT Innovation Platform (IIP) Intelligent Communications.
- Member of the management team of the ASCI Research School.
- Project leader of the STW/Sentinels project Kindred Spirits.